- Keynote Speaker, Medievalisms Conference, Centre Umberto Eco, Bologna, November.
- Keynote Speaker, Medievalisms on Screen conference, Central European University, Budapest/Vienna, April 29th-May 1st.
- “Bad History”, Invited Speaker, What is Medieval? seminar series, Universities of York and Reading, 27th October.
- “Medieval Television and the Problems of Convergence”, Invited Speaker, The Middle Ages in Contemporary Television, University of Bologna, 6th-7th March (postponed due to Covid-19).
- Using the Past: The Middle Ages in the Spotlight conference, Batalha, Portugal (co-organised Uni. of Lisbon and Madrid), 10th-12th December.
- “Who Owns the Middle Ages? Participatory Medievalism and Historical Authority”, Keynote speaker, International Medievalism conference on Medievalism & Politics, University of Maynooth, Ireland, 27th-29th June.
- “Historical Authority in Political Medievalism”, Keynote Speaker, Medievalism between East and West conference, University of Turku, Finland, 26-27th September.
- International Visiting Professor, Universidad de La Salle, Bogotá, Colombia, 10th-21st June. I designed and delivered a two-week Summer School on Social Media, History and Digital Citizenship. We developed an online, crowd-curated history of Bogotá in English.
- “Medievalism and Music”, Keynote Responder/Round Table, Music and Medievalism conference, University of Huddersfield, 27th-28th June.
- “Brexit, Victoriana, and Participatory Medievalism”, International Society for the Study of Medievalism, Brock University, Ontario, 12th-13th October.
- “‘A chain needs all sorts of metals’: Game of Thrones, Medievalism, and Identity Politics”, Distinguished Visiting Speaker in Medieval and Medievalism Studies, Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Canada, 18th October.
- “#Medieval: Social Media, Medievalism and Participatory Culture”, Invited Speaker, MA Masterclass in Medievalism, University of Groningen, Netherlands, 5th November.
- “#Medieval: Social Media, Medievalism and Participatory Culture“, Keynote Speaker, The Middle Ages in the Modern World (MAMO) conference, John Cabot University and the
École française de Rome, Italy, 21st-24th November.
- “Video Games, the Middle Ages, and Transhistorical Thinking”, Invited Speaker, Video Games and History symposium, University of Manchester, 10th February.
- “Special Effects and CGI in the Epic Film”, Invited Speaker, Special Effects symposium, University of Reading, 8th March.
- “Medievalism, Brexit and the Myth of Nations,” International Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo, USA, 10th-14th May.
- “Creating the Middle Ages: Chi possiede il medioevo online?”, Il Medioevo fra di noi, Università di Urbino, 15th-17th June.
- “‘History is Our Playground’: Accuracy, Authenticity and Historical Media”, The Middle Ages in the Modern World Conference, University of Manchester, 28th June-1st July. Also Round Table participant on Accuracy and Authenticity at same conference.
- “Guy Ritchie, King Arthur, and the Great Conspiracy”, International Arthurian Society Triennial Conference, University of Würzburg, 24th-28th July. Also Round Table participant on Political Medievalism at the same conference.
- “Medievalism, War, and National Identity”, Keynote Speaker, War Through Other Stuff Symposium, Leeds Museum, Leeds, 30th September.
- “Beyond Genre? Portraying the Past in a Digital Era”, Keynote Speaker, Portraying the Past Conference, University of Sheffield, 15th September.
- “The Politics of Space: Political Uses of Medieval Statues”, IHR Medievalism Seminar, University of London, 4th October.
- “‘The Online Piracy Act will take us back to the Dark Ages’: Politics, Medievalism and Online Participatory Culture”, University of Birmingham Medieval Research Seminar, 1st November.
- “The Politics of Space: Political Uses of Medieval Statues”, University of Lincoln Medieval Research Seminars, 16th November.
- “The Assassin’s Creed Curriculum: Video Games and the Middle Ages”, Leeds International Medieval Congress, University of Leeds, UK, 4th-7th
- “‘Like’ the Middle Ages: Medievalism and Social Media”, International Society for the Study of Medievalism conference, University of Bamberg, Germany, 18th-20th
- Organiser and Closing Remarks Plenary Speaker, Video Games and History Workshop, DiGRA International Conference, University of Abertay, Dundee, 1st August.
- “Epic TV: Historical Epics on the Small Screen“, Cinema and History/Cinema e Storia conference, Universita Roma Tre, Rome, Italy, 26-27th November.
- “Crusades, Templars, and Cyberjihad: Political Medievalisms in Social Media”, International Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo, USA, 14-17th May.
- “ISIS, the Middle Ages and Mass Media”, School of Film and Television Research Seminar, University of Lincoln, 26th November.
- “Playing with the Middle Ages: History, Medievalism, and Video Games”, invited speaker, School of History Research Seminar, University of Huddersfield, 25th November.
- “Simulations and Simulacra: History in Video Games“, Keynote Speaker at the 28th European Simulation and Modelling Conference (ESM’2014), University of Porto 22-24th October. More info here.
- “Medievalism and Mass Media: Business Vikings, Templar Knights and Climate Change”, Minnesota State University Moorhead, Moorhead MN, 7th November.
- “Laughing at Medieval Films: Cinema, Parody and Historical Representation”, Comic Timing: A Symposium on Humour and Periodisation, in Medievalism (and Elsewhere), invited speaker, University of Manchester, 4th October.
- “Our minds are in the gutter, but some of us are watching Starz… Sex, Violence and Dirty Medievalism in Camelot and The Pillars of the Earth“, The Middle Ages in the Modern World Conference, University of St Andrews, 25th-28th June.
- “Video Games and History: Virtual Engagement with a Digital Past“, (click the link to watch the presentation on iTunes). Invited speaker at the Rethinking: History, Simulations, Video Game workshop, CEIS20, University of Coimbra, Portugal, 7th December.
- “Space, Identity and a Transnational Past”, EUPOP Inaugural Conference, London, 11th-13th July.
- “Fragments of Arthur, Arthurian Mosaics”, Round Table in Honour of Professor Elizabeth Sklar, Popular Culture Association international conference, Boston (USA), April 11-14.
- “Artorius Castus as Global Icon”, Invited speaker at the Lucius Artorius Castus conference, Podstrana (Croatia), March 29th – April 2nd.
- “Locating Arthur in the Visual Arts”, International Arthurian Society Conference, University of Bristol, July.
- “What was the Kraken doing there in the first place? Authenticity and Accuracy in Clash of the Titans”, Rethinking Epic: Epic Film and Television in the 21st Century, University of Lincoln, July.
- “Locating Images of Arthur and His Historical Capital”, Arthurian panel, Popular Culture Association, San Antonio (TX), April.
- “Legitimising Violence in Medieval Film”, Institute of Germanic & Romance Studies Conference, London, March.
- “Authenticity and Accuracy in Medieval Film,” University of Exeter, November.
- “Nobody’s Allowed to Punch the King: Subversions of King Arthur in Modern Arthurian Television”, International Arthurian Society Conference, Rennes, France, July.
- “A Killing at the Box Office: Representations of Conflict in Medieval Films”, University of Durham, August.
- “The Charm of the Remaking: The Problems of ‘Medieval’ Serialisation in Modern Arthurian Television”, Popular Culture Association National Conference, Boston, USA, April.
- “Now is Neither a Time nor a Place: History on Film”, University of Exeter, March.
- “Fiat Lux, Camera et Actio… the (re)Creation of Medieval Worlds in Film”, University of Bristol, February.
- “It’s only a Model”: Cinematic Representations of Camelot”, Medievalism Transformed conference, University of Bangor, Wales, 3rd June.